Friday, February 4, 2011

Beer is great, so is wine, we're the class of '89

I didn't even drink in high school.


You do not wear impatience well. I've never seen you wear impatiens, so the jury's out on that one. And go back to your own font. Again with the mimicking of everything I do. It's downright frightening.


You're right about the reading. I didn't even read that much at MHS. Quick story for you:


I once led a group of four students in a summer-reading book review assignment the first week back to school. Following our group review, we each had to turn in our own individual report. I was the only one in the group who earned an A on the assignment. I was also the only one in the group who didn't read a single page of the book.


Moreover, I elected college-prep English over AP English simply due to the summer reading requirements. AP English students were tasked to read five books during the summer months. College-prep students had to read only one. And I didn't even read that. (Gabe must never read this blog.)


I didn't read much of the required literature during the school year either. Somehow managed to get by. However, there were two disadvantages to electing college-prep English over Honors:
  • AP English students were rewarded with an extra point for their final grade. So instead of earning 4 points for a final grade of A, Honors students earned 5 points toward their GPA.
  • At the end of the school year, AP English students were given the opportunity to take the AP test which, with a high enough score, could earn them 3-to-6 hours of college credit toward Freshman English.
Fortunately, Miami University allowed incoming freshmen the opportunity to take a placement test for those who did not score high enough on the AP test or didn't take it at all. I was not aware of this opportunity until the day before the test. I showed up at Bachelor Hall, took the two-hour test, and earned all six of the required hours of Freshman English.


It wasn't that I was lazy, I was merely efficient. Okay, I was lazy.

Toodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment